Place: Liverpool, UK
Venue: Open Labs next to the Astrophysics Research Institute
Dates: 10-13 November 2015
There are two airports providing access to the city of Liverpool.
LPL - Liverpool John Lennon Airport
- Liverpool John Lennon Airport is located 14km from Liverpool city centre.
The principle airlines flying to this airport are eaysJet, Ryanair, Blue Air, Flybe Wizz Air, Czech, Thomson and Aer Lingus.
There is no rail link at this airport but there are frequent bus services to Liverpool South Parkway railway station which is NOT in the city.
Liverpool South Parkway is a double railway station providing two separate rail routes to Liverpool Lime Street or Liverpool Central stations, which are in the city.
A combined bus/train ticket can be purchased at the airport.
Journey time to Liverpool is approximately 30 minutes.
MAN - Manchester Airport
- Manchester Airport is located 57km from Liverpool city centre.
This airport is larger than Liverpool so a greater number of principle airlines fly to this destination.
The rail link at this airport is Manchester Airport [MIA] station. Trains operated by Northern Rail go direct to Liverpool Lime Street station every hour. see Timetable.
The journey time is approximately 1 hour.
An alternative train route is from the airport station to Manchester Piccadilly [MAN] station and changing there for a train to Liverpool Lime Street [LIV].
Several train companies operate this alternative route. The journey time is approximately 1.5 hours.
Refer to National Rail Enquiries for train times. It accepts three letter abbreviation [TLA] station names.
- Liverpool Lime Street [LIV] is the main railway station located in the city. There are some trains direct from London Euston [EUS] but most require a change at Crewe [CRE] station.
- Liverpool Central [LVC] station located in the city and is a local commuter destination
- Liverpool South Parkway [LPY] station is located 10km from the city and 4.5km from Liverpool John Lennon Airport.
Eurostar trains terminate at London St. Pancras International [STP] which is 1km from London Euston, where train to Liverpool Lime Street depart.
St. Pancras to Euston is a 5 minute by walking or via the London Underground on the Victoria Line (pale blue) or Northern Line (black). Direct trains from London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street are operated by Virgin Trains. The journey from Euston to Liverpool takes approximately 2.5 hours
National Rail Enquiries is useful for planning rail travel with all UK train companies and for checking on delays or cancellations.